Sunday, September 23, 2007

Limitlessly rad.

I want to talk about something that's been preoccupying my mind this week. I see and interact with tons of rad people. TONS. Roommates, best friends, brilliant classmates, professors, deans, church people, etc. For the most part, I hear them talk about other rad people that they know and admire, who they love, appreciate, and aspire to emulate. Then I've known people (sometimes the same who totally admire others (and it's definitely been myself at points along my way)) who, when they talk about themselves, seem like they feel totally worthless, unlovable, and unwantable. They (and I) may feel like it's a fact - unmovable and unbroachable - that they are now, and forever will be someone who is not enough, someone who is not worth people's time, affection, or love.

Thank God I don't feel that way right now, or else I wouldn't be able to tell you this: That is the biggest lie. You. Are. Rad. You are a son or daughter of God, a God who is like the Ultimate Dad. You want a dad who will ride bikes with you or throw popcorn at the movie screen with you or wants to hear about your day? You got it, kid. He loves the CRAP out of you. Literally. He loves you so perfectly and thoroughly that He has sent His Son to make you clean. Here's what you've gotta do:
  1. Sit down
  2. Realize that God's rad. I mean, come on, He invented all things that are fun, rad, and filled with Awesome. He is Infinity out of 5. Inititely and limitlessly rad.
  3. Realize that Mr. Infinitely Rad thinks that YOU'RE Rad.
  4. Realize that He's never wrong, and He never lies. ('cause then He's not God (and not rad. Liars aren't rad.)
  5. Realize that you are Rad, and that you are worth loving, fighting for, and appreciating.
  6. Enjoy your state of limitlessness. (and don't put any more limits on yourself - that's the only place limits come from. The rest can be compensated for)
  7. Tell your friends.

I heard a song today that I thought was rad, so I'm posting the lyrics. You want sheet music for it? It's free and it's right over here. Check out the rest of her site. There's lots of good stuff.

Miracles

Amid the countless blessings the Lord has given me
The light of truth and goodness; the Holy Spirit's peace
I see the many sorrows that his children must endure
So much hurt I long to heal. How can I change the world?

There are hands I cannot hold
Hearts I cannot comfort
Tears that only miracles can stay
So let me love and serve and teach
Those who come within my reach
For miracles begin that way

The Savior walked in Galilee, unknown in many lands
Yet touching every nation by the labors of his hands
Giving light to all the world by teaching but the few
He is my example in the work that I must do

There are hands I cannot hold
Hearts I cannot comfort
Tears that only miracles can stay
So let me love and serve and teach
Those who come within my reach
For miracles begin that way

I will bear the burden of my neighbor in his need
I will share my Savior's love in every kindly deed
He will magnify my efforts, and I'll understand at last
That by these small and simple things are great things brought to pass.

There are hands I cannot hold
Hearts I cannot comfort
Tears that only miracles can stay
So let me love and serve and teach
Those who come within my reach
For miracles begin that way

No comments: