Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Stardust


CLICK IMAGE FOR TRAILER


I discovered this movie while having a small Michelle Pfeiffer Marathon this past weekend. I started with White Oleander, an old favorite, in the comfort of my apartment and decided that she was so rad that I would dedicate the weekend to her. First stop on my venture to the outside world: Hairspray. Rating: 1 out of 5. Totally Unrad.* Extremely well done, however, it was too contrived and manipulative while not having any real depth. I shouldn't be surprised. It's a musical, and that's their vehicle. It just didn't sit right with me. However, the next stop had me dazzled.

Stardust. I was quickly enchanted and charmed by this cleverly written and well-acted tale of a fallen star. Was it the irresistably innocent hero, played by Charlie Cox, that won my heart? Was it the brilliantly shining performance of Claire Danes? Or was it seeing the 78 year old David Kelly beat the crap out of our hero with a staff? I think it's safe to say that it was all of the above, plus thousands of moments filled to the brim with laughter, fascination and, of course, radness.

Rating: 5 out of 5. Absolutely Rad.

*Note to the reader: Totally Unrad is not as bad as Absolutely Unrad. This movie has not hit 0.

No comments: